Today, Caitie’s Classroom is all about Cleaning Up! We’re going to make a fish aquarium using upcycled materials from around the house. This is a fun craft to do, while recycling materials you may not use anymore.
Here is what you need:
- tissue paper
- small piece of construction paper
- permanent markers
- scissors, or waived edge scissors (optional)
- googly eye
- craft paint
- paint brush
- fishing line
- safety pin
- straws (recycled)
- bubble wrap (recycled)
- empty shallow box (recycled)
Steps to Create a Fish:
- Draw a pattern on your CD by using a permanent marker.
- Cut a general rectangle shape for the fish fins and tail, accordion fold and tape into place on the back side of the disc.
- Shape fins with regular or wavy scissors.
- Draw a mouth onto construction paper and cut out.
- Glue mouth and eye into place.
Steps to Create an Aquarium Diorama
- Cut the flaps of your box for your desired look. Leave an edge on the bottom this will give a surface to attach your decorations.
- Cut shapes out of cardboard for coral and foliage.
- Paint the inside of your box, frame, plants and coral decorations.
- Decorate using recycled items. We cut slits in straws and inserted straws into the holes to make the red coral shape. Use painted bubble wrap for a rocky bottom.
- Glue decorations into place.
- Puncture a hole with a safety pin on the top of your diorama at the depth where you would like your fish to sit.
- Tie a bead to one end of a piece of fishing line. From the top, thread through hole and tape to the back of the fish. You can make your fish move up and down by pulling on the string.
This post accompanies a recent episode of Caitie’s Classroom. Join Caitie every week for kids songs, games, activities, stories, crafts, and much more! Caitie’s Classroom broadcasts live on the Super Simple Songs channel every Tuesday at 11am EST. Catch up on past episodes and segments here, follow Caitie on Facebook here, subscribe to her YouTube channel here, and join her LIVE every Tuesday using this link. Don’t forget to ring the bell for notifications!
Original content © 2018 Super Simple. Not to be reprinted without express written permission. Terms and Conditions.